As parents, our top priority is keeping our babies clean, fresh, and comfortable. Baby wipes are a staple product that most of us use multiple times a day for diaper changes, cleaning up messy meals, and quick clean-ups on the go. However, did you know that most regular baby wipes contain plastic and harsh chemicals that are not only bad for the environment but also for your baby’s delicate skin?
The harmful effects of plastic and chemicals found in regular wipes are coming to light. In this blog post, we will uncover the truth about what’s really in regular baby wipes, why you should avoid them, and how to choose safe, natural, and biodegradable baby wipes for your little one.
What’s Really in Regular Baby Wipes?
Regular baby wipes, even those marketed as “natural” or “sensitive”, typically contain plastics such as polypropylene, polyethylene, and polyester. These plastics are used to make the wipe sheets absorbent and durable. However, plastics contain hormone-disrupting chemicals like BPA and phthalates that can be absorbed through your baby’s skin and cause long-term health issues.
Plastics also do not biodegrade easily and contribute to environmental pollution, ending up in landfills, waterways, and oceans. Studies have found synthetic microfibers, like polyester, polluting the air, water, and soil globally. Wildlife mistakes these microplastics for food, and the toxins work their way up the food chain, ultimately impacting human health. Now you can imagine how important to use plastic free wipes is.
In addition to plastics, regular baby wipes commonly contain other harsh preservatives and chemicals like parabens and harsh chemicals. These ingredients can dry out and irritate your baby’s sensitive skin, especially with frequent use. Artificial fragrances are also often added to mask chemical smells, even in wipes marked as “unscented”, which can cause skin allergies and respiratory inflammation.
With all these harmful ingredients found in regular baby wipes, it’s no wonder eczema, nappy rash, and other skin conditions seem so common in babies today. The toxins, plastics, and harsh irritants found in most baby wipes are absorbed through your baby’s skin and can build up over time with daily use.
Choose Natural, Biodegradable Baby Wipes
The good news is there are natural baby wipes, like Aqua Wipes provide, that are free from plastics, toxins and harsh chemicals. Biodegradable baby wipes that are sustainably made from renewable materials offer a safe option for your baby.
These baby wipes are naturally soft, hypoallergenic, and formulated for sensitive skin. In addition, these wipes biodegrade much faster than regular wipes and are plastic-free. Popular eco-friendly brands like Aqua Wipes offer high-quality natural, yet effective baby wipes.
When choosing natural biodegradable baby wipes, look for the following:
• 100% biodegradable and compostable – Made from renewable materials like bamboo and plant cellulose. Will break down quickly compared to regular wipes.
• Plastic-free – No polyethylene, polypropylene, polyester, or other synthetic materials. Only natural renewable ingredients.
• Fragrance-free and paraben-free – No harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances, or toxic preservatives. Hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin.
• Sustainably and ethically made – Brands that make eco-friendly and natural products, minimising their environmental impact. Cruelty-free and vegan.
• Thick, durable, and absorbent – Even natural wipes should be thick enough to handle messy diaper changes yet remain soft for delicate skin. Choose wipes that claim to be extra thick and absorbent.
• Water-based solution – The solution on natural wipes should be purified water and a mild plant-based cleanser like Aqua Wipes that provides a coconut-based mild cleansing agent.
• Trusted brands – For the safest, most natural wipes, choose well-known and reputable eco-baby brands. Check reviews from other parents to determine the best biodegradable wipes.
With so many great natural baby wipes available today, there’s no need to expose your little one’s sensitive skin to the harsh chemicals and plastics found in regular wipes. Make the simple switch to biodegradable baby wipes for a safe, healthy, and sustainable option. Now you have all the information for choosing the right baby wipes, in bonus here we are providing you additional information for natural baby care.
Other Considerations for Natural Baby Care
Choosing biodegradable and plastic free wet wipes is a great first step towards natural baby care, but there are a few other areas you should consider “greening” as well:
- Nappies – Disposable nappies also contain plastics and harsh chemicals just like regular wipes. Reusable cloth nappies are an eco-friendly alternative, especially when using a natural laundry detergent.
- Skin care – The chemicals used in many commercial baby lotions, shampoos, and creams can dry out and irritate sensitive skin. Opt for natural baby skincare products with organic ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, and oatmeal.
- Laundry – To wash cloth nappies, bedding, clothes, and other fabrics in a sustainable way, use an eco-friendly baby laundry detergent free from dyes, bleaches, and synthetic fragrances.
- Feeding – For bottles, Sippy cups, and other feeding supplies, choose BPA and phthalate-free options. Glass or stainless-steel options are the most natural, but silicone and wood are also good alternatives. When a baby starts solid foods, go organic as much as possible and avoid processed snacks with artificial ingredients. Homemade baby food with fresh fruits and vegetables is the healthiest approach.
- Toys – As babies start exploring the world through play, minimise exposure to toxic materials in some toys. Seek out natural, sustainable toys made of wood, cotton, silk, and wool. Simple toys without a lot of padding or stains are best – the fewer dyes and flame retardants, the better. Organic plush toys and play gyms with natural colours are also great options.
- Nappy/Change bags – A good natural nappy/change bag will carry all your eco-friendly baby essentials. Look for bags specifically designed for cloth nappies and natural products, made of cotton, hemp, or canvas and treated with water-resistant solutions free of harsh chemicals.
- Natural Nursery – Provide your baby with a healthy sleeping environment using an organic crib mattress, natural bedding and linens, and low-toxicity furniture. Air out the space well and use an air purifier if needed. Choose wooden, metal or sustainable cribs and change tables over conventional options with synthetic materials and toxic stains.
Making the transition to a natural baby care routine may require some initial investment, but you really can’t put a price on your baby’s health and future. The long-term benefits of reducing your baby’s exposure to plastics, harsh chemicals, and toxins will provide your family with long-term peace of mind. Choose Aqua Wipes’ biodegradable & plastic free wipes as your baby’s safe cleaning companion, and your baby and planet will thank you!